Saturday, August 13, 2011

Alvin the Chipmunk as Front Man for the Band

Great singing is a must for bands.  If you can sing on key, that's half the battle, but it isn't good enough.   Alvin the Chipmunk sings on key, but you wouldn't want him for a front man.  Ditto for Pee Wee Herman, Minnie the Mouse or the late Tiny Tim.

A great voice needs passion, warmth, what they call "soul."  It also needs strength.  I heard one of my new associates sing "Mustang Sally" at our last practice, and it was really good.  It was as if he had bass speakers in his throat.  He had volume and power.  He knew how to "belt."

I read something about singing recently, that said there needs to be a lot of vibration in your nose, vocal chords, lips, etc.  There are lots of tones and undertones and nuances that have to be there.

How do you get all of this?  If I knew that, I'd be a lead singer.



2 comments:

kate said...

j'aime beaucoup votre blog Stogie ,et sa musique ,je vais y revenir souvent ,félicitations . De plus il semble que la musique soit dans le sang de votre famille ...

Stogie said...

Kate from the French Riviera says:

I really like your blog, Stogie, and its music, I will come here often, congratulations. It seems that music is in the blood of your family.