Thursday, July 27, 2017

Planning My Next Bass Attack!

Tonight is the last semester session for the Cats Jazz Band of Los Gatos, California.  We will have a break for a couple of weeks, and resume in August.  I am not sure I am coming back, however.  I'm a bit bored and not terribly inspired.  Maybe it's time to give my rival a chance to play bass with the band.  I've been at it for three years now, and maybe it's time to move on.

I think my major goals right now are these:
  • Learn as many jazz tunes as I can, with a goal of 100 tunes.  This should prepare me for any jazz jam or gig.
  • Improve my knowledge of acoustic bass.  I need instruction on technique and how to avoid fatigue.  I have found a potential teacher.
  • Play in as many jazz jams as I can.  I will look for ones nearby this summer.
My Handy Zoom Recorder has been an excellent asset for practices:  it records the music very well and gives great feedback on how you actually sound.

Update:  I've decided to stay with the Cats Jazz Band for the time being.  I need the practice at reading notes.  Reading notes well takes time, and the Cats has improved my note reading considerably.  However, I'm not good enough yet, so I will stay.

No comments: